Please carefully read the application details including submission information below.
You will submit 2 files. The entire application document of all the pages must be included in one MS Word document titled with your Lastname-firstname-agegroup-genre-Application. This file includes your 20-page manuscript + 1 page synopsis and rest of the application pages. The second file is a separate 20-page manuscript + 1 page synopsis that must be titled by Lastname-Nameofmanuscript-agegroup-genre.
Example for file 1
Mun-Cynthia-MG-fantasy-Application.docx (whatever extension for a Word file you have)
YA for Young Adult, MG for Middle Grade. Picture book TEXT only – PB. We are NOT offering illustrator mentorships, but if you’d like to work on text, it is possible.
Example for file 2
Please ask for help from someone if you do not know how to do this. We will delete participants for not following directions and refund the fee. Not following submission instructions is the number one reason why agents don’t read your queries.
CONTENTS OF THE APPLICATION
Pages 1-21 your manuscript + 1 page synopsis
Page 22 of the Application should be your contact information that includes the following:
* Name (not your pen name)
* Title of your manuscript, age group, genre, word count (manuscripts must be 85K or less words)
* Email address – we will be using this email address during the entire program, so, please put an email that you check often, because we’ve had issues regarding folks not receiving email in the past
* Mailing address
* Phone number. Preferably a mobile #. This is for time sensitive quick communication needs when an email just won’t do
* Indicate the order of preference for mentors. Mentors will pick manuscripts based on their interest of the work. If more than one mentor selects your manuscript, we’ll review your preference and assign as appropriate.
Page 23, please include a one page limit artist statement as to why you write. Double spaced, 12 point font. Please put your name on this page as well.
Page 24, please include SCBWI Event attendance and membership info. Please take a photo of the event history information from your SCBWI member profile page. If you’ve been to many, we just need the first page that shows your name as well.
Directions on where to find this information:
- Go to SCBWI. Org. Sign in.
- Go to Myhome on the right hand side, click on it then it should take you to your profile page
- On the left hand side of the profile page, below the words that say “Change Password” you’ll see “Event History”
- Click on Event History and it should display all the SCBWI events you’ve attended. Take a screen shot or take a photo then paste this photo into your word document as part of file 1.
FORMATTING your manuscript: your 20 pages for submission. Please make sure your file is a in Word format and you follow the formatting guidelines posted here at the bottom of the page on this link: https://nevada.scbwi.org/critique-groups/
EMAIL SUBMISSION: email both documents in one email with SUBJECT line 2019 NV Mentorship Program and send it to Nevada@scbwi.org.
These instructions are specific BECAUSE it helps us organize and find your information quickly. SCBWI NV administrators are all volunteers so please help us save time. If this program takes more time than we have to offer then we won’t be able to offer it in the future.
Questions about the program can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email is not checked daily. You might be able to find your answers by asking folks on the SCBWI NV Facebook page. I have asked past mentees if they would be able to answer questions through Facebook. There is also a list of past mentees on the website, if you’d like to speak to them as well.
INFO SESSION: There will be a free Zoom online informational meeting about the NV Mentorship Program on October 28, 2019 at 9:45am for 30 minutes or so. Register here for the free meeting:
Due Date Schedule:
- Sep. 1 – Dec. 15, 2018 – Open application process.
- Oct 28, 2019 – General program informational session.
- February 15, 2019 – Announcement of Mentee Selection
- February 20, 2019 – Selected mentees must email or mail manuscripts to mentors
- Program Fee due in whole or in payments starting Feb. 20, 2019 by check. If making payments, additional fees will be due Mar 1 & Apr 1. All fees must be paid by April. All decision to participate must be made by February 20.
If mentee does not submit by 2/20/19, they forfeit and an alternate will be selected
- May 3-5, 2019 – Kick-off for the Mentorship Program at Gold Coast Hotel in Las Vegas in conjunction with NV SCBWI conference.
- November 8-10, 2019 – Optional 2nd meeting for mentees in Virginia City, Nevada (end of program). Agents will also attend this event.
- If you’ve been selected, please make sure you make reservations at the Gold Coast Hotel for your hotel rooms using the room block since the price is better. Please go on-line to Goldcoastcasino.com/groups and use group code: A9WBC05 or call into The Gold Coast Hotel Reservations at 888-402-6278 before March 1, 2019. We only blocked 50 rooms total for the entire conference, and it is on a first-come-first-served basis for all mentees and conference attendees.